December 14, 2010

My Favorite Road Trip Blogs

I don't just write a travel blog, I read them as well. I love reading blogs about road trips because they give me great ideas for my own adventures and also provide me with an opportunity to interact with others who enjoy writing about their time on the road. Since I know you, my reader, also enjoy reading travel blogs (obviously) I thought I would share with you some of my favorites:

This blog was a recent discovery about I have been working my way through the archived posts pretty quickly. This blog combines books, movies, and travel into one amazing experience that captures the influence of media on our destinations. If you're looking for something to read, something to watch, or somewhere to go - this blog has some of the greatest suggestions you can find. She recently inspired me to read "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote (I know, it's embarrassing I haven't already read it) in preparation for a road trip to Holcomb, Kansas where the crime was committed.

If you enjoy the old-school roadside attractions like I do, then this blog is a must-read. Want to know about weird museums? Read about their trips to the Museum of Bad Art or the Spam Museum. Want to know about Jim Napors (aka Gomer Pyle)? Well they have been to his hometown and can tell you all about it. Whether it is a funny sign, a weird roadside attraction, or a restaurant shaped like a racial stereotype, this couple has been there and done that. This blog will tell you about all the strange things out there and make you want to hit the road in search of more.

Tammie Dooley gave up a career in financial planning to live as a freelance writer. As someone who spent many years as a struggling freelance writer, I know how big a transition that can be. She has embarked on some amazing adventures around the country and the world, including an awe-inspiring mountain climbing feat. If you only read a couple of her posts, read about her climb of Grand Teton. Her stories and pictures are absolutely inspiring.

I am lucky enough to actually know the MirMir and Bess of this blog - we went to college together. And I have also been lucky enough to accompany them on a few road trips, including one adventure to a little town called Hell in Michigan. After college, MirMir and Bess traveled the country. Then MirMir took to the sea as a cook for a tall ship while Bess went to California and now is living in Canada. They continue to have adventures and share them with their lucky readers and also share their thoughts on a variety of topics from movies to books to steampunk. Reading the blog is like sitting down for a drink with two of the most interesting people I have ever met.

In this blog, a mother writes about her adventures with her husband and young daughter in Texas and beyond. While I tend to travel alone or with a friendly companion, I love reading about their heart-warming family adventures. For those who are looking for some family road trip ideas, this is a must read. And for those who simply like to enjoy feel-good stories about a family that loves to hop in the car and hit the road (like me), this is also a must read.

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the plug Kris and your blog is on our awesome roadtrip blog list too! By the way, we're in the very, very early stages of planning a spring roadtrip and we may be traveling through, drumroll please, Kansas! I'll be relooking at your posts if that comes to fruition.

    ReplyDelete