March 29, 2011

Fire Hydrant Garden - Topeka, KS

While many of the roadside attractions I see are placed prominently on display, some oddities are tucked away in a quiet neighborhood. One example is the fire hydrant heaven (and doggy playground) in Topeka, Kansas. On a recent trip to Topeka, I left the main roads and took drive through the residential areas where I saw the fire hydrant garden. Surrounding a nice white house on the corner were more fire hydrants I had ever seen in one place. Each loving painted a different color and style with two dogs running around, as happy as they could possibly be.

According to RoadsideAmerica.com: "Claude Belshe started to collect and install old fire hydrants when the garden he and his wife planted was trampled by their two dogs. The hydrants have become heaven for the dogs! They have all been lovingly repainted by his stepson Jeffery. Claude plans for the garden to continue to grow and is always on the lookout for more hydrants. The entire garden can be seen from the street as his dogs are very aggressive to protect their paradise!"

When it comes to lawn decorations, this has to be one of the best I've ever seen (not as great as The Beer Can House in Houston, Texas but still pretty good). Which of course raises the question: why would you decorate your lawn with a bunch of pink flamingos or garden gnomes you can buy at any store when you could make your own decorations that express your own unique personality?

Total Time Traveled: 1 hour
Total Distance Traveled: 54 miles
Soundtrack: "The Meanest of Times" Dropkick Murphys

Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. I was surfing the web and found your blog. Enjoyed reading this as I also collect fire hydrants! I joke if I return to earth in another life, I'll collect butterflies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fascinating discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more on this subject matter, it may not be a taboo matter but usually people do not talk about such subjects. To the next! Best wishes!! Unterkunft Frankfurt Oder

    ReplyDelete