March 22, 2011

Topeka Computing Museum - Topeka, KS

The Topeka Computing Museum, also known as Ed's $48 Collection, is not so much a museum as it is a window display of old computers.

There are not really any explanations of what the computers are or their history, but I did a bit of digging on the museums website and found a list of their exhibits. You can see: Apple II computers, Atari, Commodore, CP/M machines, calculators, DOS computers, handhelds, kid's computer playthings, Pong, and other contraptions. I recognized some of the machines from my school days. For example, I used to play this great game on a Mac Computer where you would type in the words as they were falling or they would destroy the city below - basically, an educational version of Space Invaders. So that gives you an idea of just how much I know about computers.

I spent a little bit of time looking at the display, trying to have some sort of reaction. But it was like staring at a painting that you don't have the point of reference you need to understand it. All I saw was a window display of obsolete machines.

Total Time Traveled: 1 hour
Total Distance Traveled: 54 miles
Soundtrack: "Sing Loud, Sing Proud" Dropkick Murphys

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment